Manga the Week of 2/21/24

Manga the Week of 2/21/24

SEAN: Forget it, Jake. It’s Yen Press week.

Yen On has a number of debuts. First up is Astrea Record: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Tales of Heroes (Astrea Record Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darō ka). This prequel to the main Danmachi series, set 7 years prior, shows us Lyu’s backstory in detail.

ASH: I probably should have known better, but I really did not expect how many Danmachi books there would end up being.

SEAN: The Kept Man of the Princess Knight (Himekishi-sama no Himo) stars a gorgeous, beloved and strong knight, and the scummy, despised dude who’s always at her side. Odds that he’s secretly the really powerful one? High.

ANNA: PLOT TWIST!!!!

ASH: Who would have guessed!

SEAN: Miss Savage Fang: The Strongest Mercenary in History Is Reincarnated as an Unstoppable Noblewoman (Savage Fang Ojō-sama: Shijō Saikyō no Yōhei wa Shijō Saikyō no Bōgyaku Reijō to natte Futatabime no Sekai o Musō Suru) stars a woman who is not about to go the Villainess route. She used to be the world’s most powerful mercenary, and she’s going to use her noble status to kick ass.

The Unimplemented Overlords Have Joined the Party! (Mijissō no Last Boss-tachi ga Nakama ni Narimashita) is a “trapped in a video game” book, as our hero sits down to play the hot new game and finds himself in a buggy area yet to be patched… along with six evil overlords who declare him their master!

ASH: Better that than the alternative?

SEAN: You Are My Regret (Kimi wa Boku no Regret) is from the creator of Higehiro. It’s not an adaptation of one of those tragically depressing Japanese movies where the girl dies at the end, but boy, it sure feels like it is, doesn’t it? A middle school couple who dated and broke up reunite in high school. Can they reunite?

ASH: It does have that vibe.

SEAN: Also coming from Yen On: Associate Professor Akira Takatsuki’s Conjecture 3, Black Summoner 1 (a print version of the J-Novel Club title), Date a Live 11, Days with My Stepsister 2, The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody 9, I’ve Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level 14, If the Villainess and Villain Met and Fell in Love 2, Liar, Liar 3, Magical Girl Raising Project 17, My Happy Marriage 6, Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero-King to Extraordinary Squire 2 (the print version of the J-Novel Club title), Sugar Apple Fairy Tale 5, Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town 14, The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess 6, and Your Forma 5.

MICHELLE: I should read My Happy Marriage at some point.

SEAN: Yen Press also has a number of debuts. Ako and Bambi (Ako to Bambi) is from the creator of Horimiya, and stars a horror writer (Bambi) who tells the story of a talkative ghost (Ako), not realizing that Ako may actually still be alive elsewhere in town. This ran in Sonorama+.

ASH: This premise amuses me.

SEAN: Beastrings is a one-shot manga featuring a town where a hero saved the day once. Now he’s the mayor, and is determined to keep the day saved. This seems like a “different story about each citizen” type volume. It’s Comic Beam.

holoX MEETing! (Hololive – holoX MEETing!) is a Shonen Jump + title that… well, it’s a Hololive title. It’s like asking the plot of a Pokemon manga. Good thing Virtual Youtubers are in the news right now. A ha. A ha ha ha.

If the Villainess and Villain Met and Fell in Love (Akuyaku Reijou to Akuyaku Reisoku ga, Deatte Koi ni Ochitanara) is the manga based on the light novel also out from Yen. It runs in GA Comic.

ASH: Talk about a power couple?

SEAN: Taking Care of God (Kami-sama no Kaigogakari) is a one-shot based on the story story by Cixin Liu, asking what happens when old people start falling from the sky and claiming they created humanity. It ran in COMIC Hu.

ASH: Oh! I like Cixin Liu’s work; I’ll have to check this out.

SEAN: Whoever Steals This Book (Kono Hon wo Nusumu Mono wa) runs in Young Ace. A girl descended from book collectors can’t stand books. But when an ancient curse activates, she has to enter the stories in order to save her town.

ASH: I am intrigued.

SEAN: Also from Yen Press: Assorted Entanglements 4, Cheerful Amnesia 2, The Dark History of the Reincarnated Villainess 9, Doomsday with My Dog 4, Goblin Slayer Side Story II: Dai Katana 6, Honey Trap Shared House 2, I Cannot Reach You 7, I May Be a Guild Receptionist, but I’ll Solo Any Boss to Clock Out on Time 2, I’ve Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level 12, In Another World with My Smartphone 11, Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Familia Chronicle Episode Freya 3, Kaiju Girl Caramelise 7, Kowloon Generic Romance 6, Minami Nanami Wants to Shine 3 (the final volume), Mint Chocolate 10, My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected @ comic 20, Oshi no Ko 5, Overlord 18, Tales of the Kingdom 4, Teasing Master Takagi-san 18, The Villainess Stans the Heroes: Playing the Antagonist to Support Her Faves! 3, Tsubaki-chou Lonely Planet 6, and Uncle from Another World 9.

ANNA: I do want to catch up on Tsubaki-chou Lonely Planet.

MICHELLE: Same here!

SEAN: And we’re done! NOT. Viz Media has Children of the Whales 23 (the final volume), Choujin X 5, Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End 10, Heart Gear 3, Mission: Yozakura Family 9, Twin Star Exorcists 30, The Way of the Househusband 11, and Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead 13.

ASH: I need to catch up without Househusband.

SEAN: Tokyopop has four debuts, all BL. All You Want, Whenever You Want (Hoshii Toki Dake, Suki na Dake) is a one-shot from liQulle about a company romance (and a company dormitory).

I’ll Never Fall in Love With an Egoist (Egoist ni wa Nabikanai) is a from RED title, and can be summed up as “Two tops on the beach, who will be the bottom?”. Another one-shot.

Is This the Kind of Love I Want? (Konna Koi nara Owari ni Shitai!) is the only title that’s more than one volume, it ran in Rutile. When a gay man wants his first gay experience, his straight friend offers to be that person. But is he as straight as he thinks?

ANNA: PLOT TWIST!

SEAN: A Kiss That Stains the Innocence (Innocent wo Kegasu Kiss) is another from RED title, and another one-shot. A prince with memory issues turns to a man who lives in the mountains… unaware the King destroyed the mountain man’s village!

A debut from Square Enix, Smoking Behind the Supermarket with You (Super no Ura de Yani Suu Futari). This Big Gangan title is about an overworked salaryman and a store clerk… well, smoking behind the supermarket.

They also have I Think Our Son Is Gay 5 (the final volume), Mr. Villain’s Day Off 3, and Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town 11.

MICHELLE: Definitely gotta read I Think Our Son Is Gay.

ASH: I know I will be!

SEAN: One debut from Seven Seas. Reincarnated Into a Game as the Hero’s Friend: Running the Kingdom Behind the Scenes (Maou to Yuusha no Tatakai no Ura de) is a manga based on a light novel coming soon from Airship. A Comic Gardo title about a normal guy who died in the battle by the Demon King’s Army. Now he’s a noble… and has memories of the fact that this is a game. Recommended for people who don’t get sick just reading that premise again.

Seven Seas also has Black Night Parade 2, I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into a Girl 5, Lonely Castle in the Mirror 2, Plus-Sized Elf: Second Helping! 2, A Stepmother’s ‏Märchen 3, and Yokai Cats 7.

One Peace Books has the 9th Higehiro manga.

Kodansha Manga debuts BLOOD BLADE, which they’ve been debuting on their KManga site. Did you ever want Dracula and Frankenstein’s monster to meet and also be cute girls? Great news!

ANNA: PLOT TWIST!

ASH: Hmmm…

SEAN: Also in print: EDENS ZERO 27, I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince so I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability 10, In/Spectre 19, Lovely Muco! 4, Medaka Kuroiwa is Impervious to My Charms 5, Ogami-san Can’t Keep It In 3, Quality Assurance in Another World 6, Tsugumi Project 4, Wandance 8, Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 6, and Witch Hat Atelier Kitchen 2.

MICHELLE: Wandance and Iruma-kun for me!

SEAN: Digitally we see The Café Terrace and Its Goddesses 11, Don’t Tempt Me, VP! 3, A Girl & Her Guard Dog 9, Gamaran 18, Issak 6, Lightning and Romance 5, Our Fake Marriage 13, and Rocopon 3 (the final volume).

No debuts from J-Novel Club this week, but we do see Backstabbed in a Backwater Dungeon: My Trusted Companions Tried to Kill Me, But Thanks to the Gift of an Unlimited Gacha I Got LVL 9999 Friends and Am Out For Revenge on My Former Party Members and the World 6, Butareba -The Story of a Man Turned into a Pig- 2, Enough with This Slow Life! I Was Reincarnated as a High Elf and Now I’m Bored 5, The Frontier Lord Begins with Zero Subjects: Tales of Blue Dias and the Onikin Alna 3, the 2nd I Want to Escape from Princess Lessons manga, I’m Not the Hero! 3, the 2nd The Invincible Little Lady manga, Making Magic: The Sweet Life of a Witch Who Knows an Infinite MP Loophole 6, the 3rd My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer manga, the 4th Now I’m a Demon Lord! Happily Ever After with Monster Girls in My Dungeon manga, Private Tutor to the Duke’s Daughter 11, Villainess Level 99: I May Be the Hidden Boss but I’m Not the Demon Lord 4, and You Were Experienced, I Was Not: Our Dating Story 2.

ASH: So many words.

From Ghost Ship we see 2.5 Dimensional Seduction 9.

No print from Airship, but we get an early digital debut. The Condemned Villainess Goes Back in Time and Aims to Become the Ultimate Villain (Danzaisareta Akuyaku Reijō wa, Gyakkō-shite Kanpekina Akujo o Mezasu) has our betrayed noble girl sold into a brothel, then, after becoming one of the most famous sex workers ever, killed. Now she’s back in time, and this time she’s destroying lives and chewing bubblegum, and she’s all out of bubblegum.

And there’s also The Case Files of Jeweler Richard 7

Ooof. Did you finish reading that?

ANNA: NO. (PLOT TWIST!)

MICHELLE: TBH, I did skim just a lil’.

The post Manga the Week of 2/21/24 first appeared on Manga Bookshelf.



Post a Comment

0 Comments