Pick of the Week: Calling it Mystery Again

Pick of the Week: Calling it Mystery Again

SEAN: My pick this week is the final manga volume of Bakemonogatari. Starting off as an impossible attempt to have a manga version live up to NISIOISIN’s prose and SHAFT’s anime style, the author and Oh!Great managed to make a unique story that, especially in the last half of the series, carved out its own path, trying to show the fates of almost everyone in the series (it would be very hard to show all of Nadeko’s fate, can’t blame it there) since it can’t go on for 40 more books. Oh, and kept it absolutely filled with blatant fanservice. I really loved this series.

MICHELLE: Of course I am happy about Don’t Call It Mystery, but the most intriguing release this week is Even If There’s No Rainbow Tomorrow. The retro vibes of its cover are lovely, too.

KATE: I’m torn between two titles this week: The Summer Hikaru Died, an atmospheric blend of body horror, BL, and fantasy with fabulous artwork, and Don’t Call It a Mystery, a series that defies easy description, but reminds me a little of Columbo (with better hair).

ASH: All excellent choices, for sure! (As well as some excellent descriptions.) I would be remiss if I didn’t at least mention Oba Electroplating Factory since I had somehow forgot about it until my comic shop let me know it was in my box to pick up. But as for this week’s debuts, I’m most intrigued by the prospect of reading Hell Is Dark with No Flowers. A horror novel series featuring yokai? Yup, that one has my name on it.

ANNA: I’m going to make Don’t Call It Mystery my pick, in the hope that will prompt me to get caught up on it!

The post Pick of the Week: Calling it Mystery Again first appeared on Manga Bookshelf.



Post a Comment

0 Comments