Manga the Week of 4/17/24

Manga the Week of 4/17/24

SEAN: Yen Press is here to bury us in titles once more.

Yen has slid some releases at the last minute, so their calendar hasn’t quite caught up yet. I believe the only debut for Yen On this week is You Can’t See the Snow (Kimi wa Yuki o Miru Koto ga Dekinai), a one-shot about a college couple who meet in the summer, but she breaks up with him in the autumn – as she has an illness that causes her to sleep half the year. This has “tearjerker” written all over it.

ASH: I could use half a year’s worth of sleep.

ANNA: I would also look forward to sleeping.

SEAN: Also from Yen On: Apparently, Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World 4, Bofuri: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense 12, Goblin Slayer Side Story: Year One 3, High School DxD 13, Hollow Regalia 4, I Kept Pressing the 100-Million-Year Button and Came Out on Top 7, I’m the Villainess, So I’m Taming the Final Boss 8, The Misfit of Demon King Academy 3 (the print version of the JNC light novel), Sabikui Bisco 7, Secrets of the Silent Witch 4.5, and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 18.

Debuting for Yen Press is Fox-Colored Jealousy (Yakimochi wa Kitsuneiro), a one-shot BL title from Bloom. A cute boy who sometimes sprouts fox ears and a tail is saved from a groper on the train by a guy who loves to cuddle.

ASH: Awww.

ANNA: That sounds cute.

SEAN: If the Villainess and Villain Met and Fell in Love (Akuyaku Reijou to Akuyaku Reisoku ga, Deatte Koi ni Ochitanara) is the manga version of the novel Yen put out several months ago. It runs in GA Comic.

My Gemini (Boku no Gemini) is a one-shot shoujo title that ran in Asuka. Twins at a school are inseparable, and frequently swap identities. When one twin is killed, it’s up to our protagonist to figure out which one.

MICHELLE: Possibly interesting!

ASH: Indeed!

SEAN: Trinity Seven Revision is – surprise – a spinoff of the Trinity Seven manga. It ran in Dragon Age.

Also from Yen Press: 15 Minutes Before We Really Date 2, Associate Professor Akira Takatsuki’s Conjecture 3, Bungo Stray Dogs: Wan! 7, Call the Name of the Night 4, Chained Soldier 7, The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy 5, Goblin Slayer 14, I Kept Pressing the 100-Million-Year Button and Came Out on Top 5, I’m Quitting Heroing 5, The Illustrated Guide to Monster Girls 3, Kiss the Scars of the Girls 2, Lord Hades’s Ruthless Marriage 2, Mieruko-chan 9, My Instant Death Ability Is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me! ―AO― 4 (the print version of the JNC manga), My Mate Is a Feline Gentleman 3, My Poison Princess Is Still Cute 2, No Longer Heroine 6, The Reformation of the World as Overseen by a Realist Demon King 3, Saint? No! I’m Just a Passing Beast Tamer! 3, SHY 6, So What’s Wrong with Getting Reborn as a Goblin? 5, Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included 5, The Summer Hikaru Died 3, Touge Oni: Primal Gods in Ancient Times 3, and When I Became a Commoner, They Broke Off Our Engagement! 2.

ASH: I need to read more of The Summer Hikaru Died.

SEAN: Two debuts for Viz Media. Gokurakugai is a Jump Square series that is a “two cool guys kill terrible things” sort of series.

Snowball Earth is from Gekkan! Spirits, and stars a boy who went off to fight galactic monsters. When he returns to Earth… it’s frozen! When did an ice age happen? And can he find his friend?

Also from Viz: Jujutsu Kaisen 22, Mission: Yozakura Family 10, Record of Ragnarok 10, Steel of the Celestial Shadows 2, and Undead Unluck 15.

ASH: I picked up the first volume of Steel of the Celestial Shadows. I, uh, haven’t actually read it yet, though.

SEAN: Debuting from Tokyopop is A Beast’s Descent Into Love (Kuroki Kemono wa ai ni Otsu) is a BL one-shot that ran in from RED. Cat boys, slaves, going into heat… all the latest BL fetishes are yours to enjoy here.

MICHELLE: Pass!

ANNA: No thank you!

SEAN: Scarlet Secret (Hime Muko) is (contain your shock) a BL one-shot that ran in from RED. A childhood friend who is supposedly killed is actually inheriting a dangerous power. Can our hero save him?

Tokyopop also has Lullaby of the Dawn 3 and the 8th and final volume of Ossan Idol!.

Steamship debuts a done-in-one omnibus, I Want You To Make Me Beautiful! (Kimi no Te de Kawaiku Naritai! ~Genderless Danshi to no H na Gisou Renai~), which ran in a magazine called Lovebites. A woman has just found out her boyfriend is cheating on her, and he also insults her looks. At a low ebb, she runs into a hot androgynous ex-classmate. He’ll give her a makeover if she pretends to date him.

ASH: Hmmm.

ANNA: OK!

SEAN: Steamship also has Revenge: Mrs. Wrong 2.

From Square Enix we see The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses 9, and My Dress-Up Darling 11.

No debuts for Seven Seas, but we see Backstabbed in a Backwater Dungeon: My Party Tried to Kill Me, But Thanks to an Infinite Gacha I Got LVL 9999 Friends and Am Out For Revenge 5, Gap Papa: Daddy at Work and at Home 4, How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord 18, Kase-san and Yamada 3, My Cat is Such a Weirdo 3, My New Life as a Cat 5, and Obey Me! The Comic 2.

One Peace Books has Captain Corinth: The Galactic Navy Officer Becomes an Adventurer 6.

Kodansha Manga also has no debuts. But in print, we get BAKEMONOGATARI 21, FAIRY TAIL: 100 Years Quest 15, I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince so I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability 11, King in Limbo Omnibus 2, Orient 19, Parasyte Full Color Collection 6, Rent-A-Girlfriend 24, Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for My Retirement 6, and When Will Ayumu Make His Move? 15.

And in early digital we see Don’t Tempt Me, VP! 5 (the final volume), Gamaran 20, The God-Tier Guardian and the Love of Six Princesses 12, How to Treat a Lady Knight Right 4, Undead Girl Murder Farce 5, and the 16th and final volume of Watari-kun’s ****** Is about to Collapse.

It’s another quiet week for J-Novel Club. We see the 6th Endo and Kobayashi Live! The Latest on Tsundere Villainess Lieselotte manga volume, The Mythical Hero’s Otherworld Chronicles 7, the 5th Now I’m a Demon Lord! Happily Ever After with Monster Girls in My Dungeon manga volume, Safe & Sound in the Arms of an Elite Knight 3 (the final volume), and the 2nd The Water Magician manga volume.

And Airship, in print, debuts The Evil Queen’s Beautiful Principles (Akutoku Joō no Kokoroe), from the creative team behind Accomplishments of the Duke’s Daughter. A crown princess has been locked up for years, docile as a doll. Now she’s free… and suddenly her parents are murdered. This seems on the “serious” side of the genre.

Also in print: Classroom of the Elite: Year 2 8.

And there are early digital volumes of Modern Dungeon Capture Starting with Broken Skills 2 and Sword of the Demon Hunter: Kijin Gentōshō 5.

(air raid siren) Warning: manga approaching! What are you picking?

The post Manga the Week of 4/17/24 first appeared on Manga Bookshelf.



Post a Comment

0 Comments