Manga the Week of 1/24/24

Manga the Week of 1/24/24

SEAN: After waiting for Yen Press to show up this year, we are finally here.

ASH: Hold on tight, folks!

SEAN: No debuts for Yen On, but we do see Banished from the Hero’s Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside 10, Hazure Skill: The Guild Member with a Worthless Skill Is Actually a Legendary Assassin 7, The Irregular at Magic High School 21 (a mere 15 months after Vol. 20), Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? 18 (a mere 16 months after Vol. 17), Kunon the Sorcerer Can See 2, The Princess of Convenient Plot Devices 4, Reign of the Seven Spellblades 10, and Sentenced to Be a Hero 2.

ASH: You know, if the titles were shorter, the list wouldn’t seem nearly as long.

SEAN: Three debuts for Yen Press, but one is sort of a “next arc” debut. Bride of the Barrier Master (Kekkaishi no Ichirinka) is the manga adaptation of the light novel Yen is also releasing, and it runs in B’s-Log Comic. A young woman in the shadow of her more powerful sister finally comes into her own power, but hides it so as to avoid making waves. Good luck with that.

Higurashi When They Cry: MEGURI (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Meguri) is the manga version of the new anime’s Answer Arc, and runs in Young Ace Up. If you love Rika and Satoko, read this. If you love Keiichi, Rena and Mion… there are other arcs.

Witch Life in a Micro Room (Rokujou Hitoma no Majo Life) is a shonen manga from Gangan Joker about two young witches living together in a small apartment, and their attempts to get more important jobs to do.

Also from Yen Press: Apparently, Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World 4, Bocchi the Rock! 2, Bofuri: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense 7, Chained Soldier 6, Cheeky Brat 9, Chitose Is in the Ramune Bottle 5, CLAMP Premium Collection Tokyo Babylon 2, Daughter of the Emperor 6, Dead Mount Death Play 11, The Deer King 2, The Executioner and Her Way of Life 4, The Girl I Saved on the Train Turned Out to Be My Childhood Friend 5, Hakumei and Mikochi: Tiny Little Life in the Woods 11, Handyman Saitou in Another World 3, The Holy Grail of Eris 6, I Don’t Know Which Is Love 2, I’m a Behemoth, an S-Ranked Monster, but Mistaken for a Cat, I Live as an Elf Girl’s Pet 8, In the Land of Leadale 5, Maiden of the Needle 2, My Dear, Curse-Casting Vampiress 3, No Longer Heroine 5, Please Put Them On, Takamine-san 7, A Reincarnated Witch Spells Doom 3, Stray Cat & Wolf 2, Sword Art Online Progressive Scherzo of Deep Night 3 (the final volume), and Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop 3 (also a final volume).

MICHELLE: I should probably check back in with No Longer Heroine at some point.

ASH: So. Many. Things. No wonder I forgot that a new edition of Tokyo Babylon was being released.

ANNA: With each rerelease of previously published CLAMP material, my anger and sadness about X/1999 never getting a conclusion grows exponentially!

ASH: Saaaaaame.

SEAN: Viz Media gives us Boy’s Abyss 4, How Do We Relationship? 10, and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Part 6–Stone Ocean 2.

ASH: I ought to catch up with How Do We Relationship?; I really liked the earlier volumes I read.

SEAN: Udon Entertainment has a 2nd volume of Team Phoenix.

There is Lullaby of the Dawn 2, Sengoku Youko 5, and UNDEAD: Finding Love in the Zombie Apocalypse 2 from Tokyopop.

Steamship debuts a done-in-one omnibus, My Boss is a Giant: He Manages My Every Need With Enormous Skill (Kowamote Joushi no XL Size ga Hairimasen!), a josei manga from LoveParfait. The copy tries to sell it as “he’s a big guy, she’s a tiny girl”, but the titles will clue you in as to what he really has that’s enormous.

MICHELLE: I have cleverly deduced what that might be!

ASH: Oh, myyyyyy.

ANNA: I’m assuming like, elbows or ears?

SEAN: Square Enix has a 13rd volume of Soul Eater: The Perfect Edition.

Debuting from Seven Seas is Modern Dungeon Capture Starting with Broken Skills (Koware Skill de Hajimeru Gendai Dungeon Kouryaku), the manga adaptation of the light novels Seven Seas also releases. It runs in Comic Gardo.

They’ve also got Does it Count if You Lose Your Virginity to an Android? 3, Even Dogs Go to Other Worlds: Life in Another World with My Beloved Hound 3, Failure Frame: I Became the Strongest and Annihilated Everything With Low-Level Spells 7, My Stepmother and Stepsisters Aren’t Wicked 3, The Summer You Were There 4, Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs 9, and Who Made Me a Princess 4.

One Peace Books has a 5th volume of Usotoki Rhetoric.

MICHELLE: Oh! I really need to catch up on this!

ASH: Same! I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read.

SEAN: Kodansha Manga has no debuts, but we get print volumes for A Condition Called Love 6, The Darwin Incident 3, The Ghost in the Shell: The Human Algorithm 4, The Great Cleric 7, I’m Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness 3, and The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World 8.

While digitally we see Boss Bride Days 13, DAYS 39, Gamaran: Shura 16, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir 3, My Home Hero 12, Space Brothers 43, Teppu 5, and You’re My Cutie 7.

Again, no debuts for J-Novel Club. But we get new volumes: Ascendance of a Bookworm Arc 2 Volume 8 (the manga), Back to the Battlefield: The Veteran Heroes Return to the Fray! 3, D-Genesis: Three Years after the Dungeons Appeared 5, Doll-Kara 7, the 5th Endo and Kobayashi Live! The Latest on Tsundere Villainess Lieselotte manga volume, Gushing Over Magical Girls 9, I Shall Survive Using Potions! 9, I Surrendered My Sword for a New Life as a Mage 5, Isekai Tensei: Recruited to Another World 6, La Ragazza: Living with Francesca 3 (the final volume), and My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer 11 (the final volume).

Ghost Ship has the 9th volume of Creature Girls: A Hands-On Field Journal in Another World.

Dark Horse gives us a 13th volume of Mob Psycho 100.

ASH: Yet another series I’ve been meaning to read but have fallen behind on.

SEAN: From Airship, in print, we see The Haunted Bookstore – Gateway to a Parallel Universe 7 (the final volume) and I’m the Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire! 6.

And there is an early digital release of Reincarnated as a Sword 14.

Not too bad. What’s on your list?

ANNA: Maybe I’ll just start to reread X/1999 and sob in a corner.

ASH: I might just join you.

The post Manga the Week of 1/24/24 first appeared on Manga Bookshelf.



Post a Comment

0 Comments